Wednesday, October 1, 2014

#149 He Gives Long Hugs

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month.  I've posted in the past for World Down Syndrome Day (3:21) details about Down syndrome, what it is, and the impact my brother has had on my life.

You can read those posts here:

All That Matters About People With Down Syndrome 
Jonathan in the Special Olympics of NJ

I hope one day I'll be used to do more to help individuals with Down syndrome than simply dedicating an occasional blog post to them, but until I can be used in a larger capacity this will have to do.  It is my heart's desire to help people with Down syndrome to reach their fullest potential and, most importantly, to be treated by society with the respect and love they deserve.

To promote awareness and recognize the incredible individual my brother, Jonathan, is, here is a glimpse of what Down syndrome has looked like in my life.

What Exactly is Down Syndrome?

SCAN0018

It's a baby.

SCAN0019

It's a baby becoming a boy.

grown

A boy becoming a man.

20140901_100055

It's a smile.

Phone Pictures 169

Long hugs.

silly2

It's laughter.

20140926_223328

Pride.

SCAN0017

It's challenges.

SCAN0016

And sometimes tears.

Graduation

It's pushing the limits.

SCAN0020

To discover something wonderful.

cute

Something you never believed could be wonderful.

20140918_160958

Something special.

girls and jon

Something we need.

Prom

Something we should all try...

dancing

To be just a little more like.


No comments:

Post a Comment