Tuesday, July 1, 2014

#133 He Lets Me Take a Break

Mid-May until end of June was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it span of time.  There was so much going on.  There were so many things I wanted to write about.  Yet, there was also only so much time.  I could jump into what has been currently going on with me (my recent Vegas trip?--oh yes, there is plenty to say about that!), but first, I would hate to ignore all the perfectly fantastic things that have already transpired.

First...

20140531_122646

My brother, Jonathan, competed for his final season with his SONJ swim team, The Pioneers.  Since he graduated this year, he'll have to join a different team next season.  It's sad, but exciting, but still sad.

Jonathan spent a better part of the Saturday competition day dancing to music that made my ears hum for two days.

Next...

20140524_170953

My sister-in-law, my brother, my Gram, and I sat by Gram's pool at a table on the patio under an umbrella (yikes, so many prepositions!) as a passing thunderstorm came by while we were attempting to get the pool open for summer.  Instead of running inside as the drops pattered on, we huddled closer together at the table.  I'm chalking it up as a family bonding moment.

Then...

20140525_184633

Hubby turned 30.  I know, I know, he's super old.  Thank God I decided to stay 25 forever.  I can't imagine what he feels like.  

We went to our favorite restaurant in the entire world, so far, to celebrate.  I'm not sure what it is about Oyster Bay Restaurant in Cape May, okay wait, that's a lie, I do know what it is and it's pictured above.  If you love filet mignon, crab meat, and Bearnaise sauce, holy moly, PLEASE go there immediately.  It is absolutely my favorite meal I've ever experienced in my life.  I've ordered steaks Oscar Style (with crab meat and Bearnaise sauce) several places, but Oyster Bay has it down to a science.  An incredibly delicious science.

Next...

20131220_112125

I said goodbye to my Kindergarten classroom forever.  I've said goodbye to several jobs before, but this one cracked my heart a little.  I've had quite a time trying to discover what I was made for in life, and I've discovered that being a Kindergarten teacher was one of the things sitting at the top of the list.

And then...

IMG_8927

Jonathan graduated high school.  First, he received an award for perfect attendance.  To any ordinary person, such an award would probably not be that great a deal.  In my home growing up, it was expected.  For starters, my mother would never let us stay home from school.  Ever.  If you didn't have a fever and/or you weren't barfing, there was nothing, no matter of begging, no pleading your case that could convince her as to why you should be at home instead of in school.

Thank you for your sympathy.

Therefore, Jonathan receiving perfect attendance was, as you can imagine, quite an achievement.  

IMG_8939

I think he actually was more of a ham on the stage than my brother, Joel, was when he graduated.  And Joel walked down wearing Hulk gloves.

Yes, my family is a special breed of strange.

Later...

20140620_164236

As soon as Jonathan had his diploma in hand, I screamed, hugged him, plopped an Olaf doll into his arms, and then hopped in the car with Hubby and his coworker for a road trip to Indiana.

We stopped about three hours into our trip in Bedford, PA at the Jean Bonnet Tavern.

And...

20140620_174221

I ate this beautiful masterpiece.  I had been craving scallops, but this was supposed to be my lunch, even though I was having it around 5:00 pm.  That said, I had gone into the restaurant with the intention of having a sandwich.  

But who can resist pan seared diver sea scallops in a basil pesto sauce served over fresh asparagus, tomato, and orzo?

Not me.

A little later...

Vegas Phone Pics (17)

Hubby, Gram, and I boarded a plane for Vegas less than twelve hours later after returning home from Indiana.

Vegas Phone Pics (13)

Our view from the hotel room was perfect.*

Vegas Phone Pics (16)

Another thing of perfection were the desserts at the different buffets.  I'm not too big on the whole buffet scene, but I do love being able to nibble on a variety of desserts.  These were fantastic.  

By the way, that is a chocolate truffle cake pop.  

Be still my heart.

*Have no fear, there is more to come on my trip to Vegas.**

**I'm sure you are on the edge of your seat in suspension.

Finally...

IMG_9130

The day after we returned from Vegas, we celebrated my boy's graduation.  Back when we planned our Vegas trip it should have fallen two weeks after the end of school.  All the whacked out Jersey snow pushed the end of school right up to the start of our vacation.  We were on pins and needles for a little thinking that Jonathan's graduation might end up being scheduled during our trip.

Thank goodness that didn't happen.

But either way, I wouldn't have missed his party for the world.

IMG_9129

We had a pig.

And it was an oh-my-goodness-melt-in-your-mouth-meat pig.

As tradition with any parties involving Jonathan go, we also had a pie in the face. 

IMG_9250

Two innocent men dressed in blue.

IMG_9252

Pie in hand, ready to be delivered.

IMG_9257

Jonathan is in the zone.

IMG_9258

And, whack!

IMG_9260

Jonathan!  There's something stuck to your face!

IMG_9261

Oh, that's better.

IMG_9268

He sat there, then stood, for a good three minutes before deciding he needed to wipe the whipped cream off.

IMG_9285

Of course, there was more dancing and singing to be had before the party could come to a close.


No comments:

Post a Comment