Sunday, March 25, 2012

#47 He Celebrates Birthdays, aka, Here's Strawberry Shortcake Trifle, baby!

I know. It's a pathetic title for another post from the delicious dessert world of trifles. But you'll be happy I did it.

I made this Strawberry Shortcake Trifle in February. My grandmother's 79th birthday was approaching and I insisted she tell me her dessert of choice. She doesn't usually get that liberty. My family isn't really a fruity dessert family. We love our chocolate and our Acme whipped cream birthday cakes, but please, keep that fruit on the side. Fruit instantly makes one feel that their dessert has become a little healthy. My family does not want such illusions.

Gram, on the other hand, loves fruit in her dessert. So, I scoured the internet for strawberry shortcake recipes that I thought would be perfect. I just couldn't find anything that made me instantly drool onto my keyboard, so I improvised my Chocolate Trifle into a Strawberry Shortcake Trifle. It was so good, my brother's girlfriend asked me to make it for her birthday.

Here's what you need:

  • Yellow cake mix--any kind will do
  • (2) 8oz containers of whipped cream
  • 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 containers of strawberries
  • 3.4 oz box of instant vanilla pudding (I went all fancy and used French vanilla).

Make the cake according to the directions on the box. Allow to cool completely.

(Don't cover with plastic because you have to run out of the house, then come back and rip the plastic off leaving an ugly crater, and then take a picture of it).


In a large box mix together the pudding mix, sweetened condensed milk, and one cup of water.


Mix until it is smooth, of a pastel yellow color, and no lumps can be seen with the naked eye.


Fold in one of your whipped cream containers.


Slice up your strawberries. I cut them into quarters. If you want them especially sweet sprinkle a little powdered sugar on them.


Cut the yellow cake in half. Freeze half the cake for another time when you are absolutely craving Strawberry Shortcake Trifle.

Cut the half of the half into one inch pieces. Then line the bottom of your trifle bowl with them.


Smush them down real good. This shouldn't be all pretty and perfect.

Then. pour in half of the mousse mixture.


Cover with half of the strawberries.


Spread half of the remaining 8oz whipped cream container on top of the strawberries.


Repeat layers.

Gaze upon its beauty, and sigh. Not one ounce of fat, because there's fruit in it, you see.


Then, for extra pizzazz, throw a few strawberries on top.


Happy 20th Birthday Mallory!

No comments:

Post a Comment