Thursday, July 7, 2011

#18 He Loves Halo Farm--as anyone in their right mind darn well should.


If you are reading this and have never experienced ice cream, milk, juice, or any other splendor from either Halo Farm itself, or a Halo Pub location, you have not lived.

And by you have not lived, I mean that anything you once considered to be ice cream, now, should be seen as child's play.

Trust me, I know ice cream. Look at my second post and you'll see, I'm just a little bit of an ice cream-aholic. (I assure you, I have not always been this way and I do not blame my parents).

Halo Farm is just so fantastico that it makes me use easy Italian translations of English words like fantastico for fantastic.

First, for all of you who are into "natural" foods--yeah, it's that. They make all their ice cream in small batches, they don't use artificial ingredients or flavors, there are no preservatives and no high fructose corn syrup. That makes me feel good inside, but isn't enough to win me over completely.

Now, those of you just into flavor and taste, it is ohhh so much that and then some! Halo Farm was built in 1975 and their biggest competitor then was Haagen-Dazs. (Ben and Jerry's followed behind in 1978). Because of this they worked in order to develop a taste which was better than Haagen-Dazs and cheaper too. Trust me, they have done it. The taste is beyond belief. Theirs is the only ice cream that I can eat plain chocolate and float away on a cloud of complete satisfaction and happiness. But you don't have to just get plain chocolate. They have ice cream with chocolate chips, with cookies and candies, coffee flavored, with fruit, with nuts, liquor flavored, and even sorbet.

I've always gone right to the source for my stash of Halo Farm goodness--the source being: the farm itself. There you can get 3 pints of ice cream for $5 and a half gallon of milk for under $1.50. You can choose from an assortment of fresh juices and also pick up your bread, butter, and other tasty prepackaged delights that you might have a hankering for. (At the same price or cheaper than the supermarket!) And I must mention the delicious delight in drinking their chocolate milk. In high school, I remember there being this big craze over Wawa's chocolate milk. And then once I saw that Turkey Hill claimed to have "The Best Chocolate Milk". Sorry folks. Halo Farm is It. Drinking their chocolate milk is like drinking a bar of chocolate, Swiss milk chocolate. (Toblerone, I hear you calling). It is so thick that in order to prolong the life of my half gallon, I mix it 50/50 with white milk...without affecting the taste. Yes, life is good.


But it was not until recently that I found another fantastico part of Halo Farm: The Halo Pub. I knew of their existence before and think that I had even been in one as an unaware child, but now, I'm totally addicted. Addicted in like a nicotine way, but I'm thinking it could perhaps be worse. Because the pounds will hit my thighs faster than nicotine could hurt my body, and then it will take years and years to undo the damage I've caused.

Ok, I've just had a minor panic attack.

But it's so worth it. First of all, forget about the fact that the Halo Pub not only serves the ice cream you can get at the Farm, but it also serves sundaes, milkshakes, coffees, soft serve, and their very own hot fudge and caramel. (P.S. The soft serve is less calories and you can get it as frozen yogurt--even less calories. But then again, why would you do that?) These delightful treats are worth the trip to Princeton or Hamilton Square for surely. The one thing I will point out is that you should not buy a pint there. The pints at the Pub are about $3.50...and do the math, they are clearly cheaper at the Farm. But, obviously, there are always emergencies.

The quaint decorative touch is what pulled me in and made me promise right there inside the building to never enter another ice cream establishment again (Yogurt Land, you are yogurt and therefore I will enter your premises again).

After I had constantly squirmed my way out of going to a Pub location with my brother by using the excuse that I knew I could get the same stuff at the Farm; I finally conceded to go to the Hamilton Square location with him.

They had me after I opened the door. This Pub is decked out with all the right accessories to give the feeling of life on the dairy farm. Cow bells and old ice cream scoops dangle from the ceiling, cow shaped milk saucers line a kitchen hutch, an impressive collection of milk jugs decorate a shelf surrounded by rural paintings of life on the farm.

As if it couldn't get any greater than this (what with the abounding old fashioned decor and tasty delights) they also every Saturday in the summer have entertainment from 7:00-10:30. From jazz to folk rock, to rhythm and blues, to blues, to rock and blues, to original folk...yes, I am in love.

Go to Halo Farm or Halo Pub now, before you do anything else. Your life depends on it.

(My brother enjoying his tasty delight with that "I told you so" look on his face. Stinker.


*Ice cream has not been pictured to keep you from salivating all over your computer*

**Information about Halo Farm's history and nutrition is taken from their pamphlet, I am not all knowing.**

No comments:

Post a Comment